News flash! Glenn Beck is a Mormon!

From the blog of Dr. Russell Moore:
Too often, and for too long, American “Christianity” has been a political agenda in search of a gospel useful enough to accommodate it. There is a liberation theology of the Left, and there is also a liberation theology of the Right, and both are at heart mammon worship. The liberation theology of the Left often wants a Barabbas, to fight off the oppressors as though our ultimate problem were the reign of Rome and not the reign of death. The liberation theology of the Right wants a golden calf, to represent religion and to remind us of all the economic security we had in Egypt. Both want a Caesar or a Pharaoh, not a Messiah. 
The problem with Beck is that the God he is urging others to get back to is not the Christian God. He's the vague god of Americanism that rewards those who can pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, the one that rewards "family values" and being moral polite people. The Americanistic god holds up the founders as its saints and exposits the constitution to its congregation. I know it might sound unbelievable to some of us that our nationality can become our religion, but I would point you to the Romans for an example. Every kingdom of this world will fall to the Kingdom of God, and that includes America.

Mormonism is an American religion and it reveals its roots. It tweaks Christianity to make it a religion not of grace but of works. "God worked his way up to becoming God, and if you work really hard you can become a god too." It's rubbish, and it's demonic. Jesus came to stand in the place of those who could not and would not stand before God as righteous in order to reconcile them to God. He died for his enemies. He died that "the people who are trying to subvert this nation" might worship their Almighty Creator. As people who are in the world but not of the world our only allegiance should be to the Kingdom of God. All other priorities and purposes should flow out from God's Kingdom purpose in our lives. I don't think this is Beck's mission. I think God is a section of his Americanism and not the other way around.

 Let me be clear. Hard work, family values, morality, and politeness are not bad things. They are very good things, but when they become the definition of the gospel (what will save us) rather than the effects of a life transformed by Jesus, then they have become sin for us. Also, the men and women who have fought for America have done a noble thing. As and agent of the state, God's word says that he uses them to uphold justice in the world. Furthermore, soldiers need Jesus too, so there should be Christians in the military as missionaries to our soldiers. I only mention the military, because it's usually the first question that comes up when I start questioning America.

2 comments:

Braden said...

Hello. I stumbled across your blog while looking for photos for my blog. I don't even remember what photo it was that I found, really, and I think I'm going to go with no photos at all. It's already got a video.

So I've read through four or five of your posts, now, and I really like what you've written. Some might warn in taking comfort in reading and hearing the words of those who agree with us, but I think it's important, especially for Christians. It's very disheartening to see the way so many in the church are losing touch with the actual teachings of Christ in favor of what popular culture tells them, so it's likewise encouraging to find someone across the country that I can see gets it.

I wrote a post on this very topic, even based out of the same original essay. Here's the link: http://bradenbost.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/though-you-are-evil/

Please read if you care.

So anyway, I'm glad I found this blog. Now I'm going to link it on mine. Have a good week!

Braden said...

Hello again. So that post isn't on the same topic but rather just uses that same article. Correcting myself isn't really important after all things considered, but I was reading stuff here again and noticed my misclassification of my own work, and am now awkwardly trying to make up for it.

Anyway--hope you write something new soon. Have a good one.